Our Research Reports provide detailed insight into the core technologies and IT issues most important to Interop attendees. We surveyed our audience and the readers of InformationWeek, Network Computing, and Dark Reading, then produced comprehensive reports examining the challenges IT leaders are facing and the strategies they are implementing to achieve success.
2019 State of Infrastructure
Infrastructure sometimes has been viewed as the neglected part of the IT organization, as praise and rewards are heaped on the builders of new technology concepts such as slick mobile apps, e-commerce sites, and artificial intelligence. Nobody has ever said that managing the network, storage, systems software, and servers that make up infrastructure is the sexiest job in the world.
Yet new concepts and innovations are useless without a modern, efficient, and powerful enterprise infrastructure. That is clear from the responses in our 2019 State of Infrastructure Survey. They show that infrastructure is a key element in the success of tomorrow’s digital enterprise.
Here are some of our key findings:
- Nearly half will spend at least 5% more on infrastructure in 2019 compared with 2018.
- 35% say the growth of storage and data is driving the most change in their infrastructure.
- The next 12 months will see an increase in the percentage of IT infrastructure budgets going to new innovations and technologies compared with ongoing maintenance.
- Network security is a top priority for 61% of surveyed businesses.
IT Salary Report
Download the newly released Interop and InformationWeek Salary Survey report which revealed that pay for tech management and staff is high and rising, and most respondents reported good benefits and challenging work. The survey highlighted some important differences between the experiences of managers and staffers, as well as some noteworthy trends that will shape the future of IT, for instance, median salaries increased by $5,000 for both managers and staff, but men earn about $20,000 more than women in IT.
Other report highlights include:
- A majority of respondents are satisfied or very satisfied with their jobs and feel secure in their IT career path
- Managers are looking to be professionally challenged, while staffers’ top priority is solid pay and benefits
- More than half of tech workers received company-paid training last year
- IT pros see the outsourcing of IT operations as a threat to their jobs
2018 State of AI
AI technologies enable computers to perform tasks that human beings have traditionally been better at doing than machines are. In recent years, AI has advanced rapidly, and enterprises are becoming interested in the technology. Download this report to explore:
- The adoption rate of AI, machine learning, and cognitive initiatives
- Organizations' spending plans
- AI capabilities organizations plan to implement in the next two years
- Major obstacles to AI adoption
2018 State of IoT
A vast majority of organizations are investigating and investing in IoT technology - but they are doing it slowly and cautiously. They are still figuring out how to secure IoT devices and how IoT deployments might help improve their business. Download this report to explore:
- Status of companies' IoT initiatives
- The top IoT products/services being produced
- Major obstacles to IoT adoption
- Which industries will benefit most from IoT
2018 State of DevOps
As adoption of DevOps increases, IT leaders are shifting their focus from overcoming organizational and cultural barriers to releasing high-quality applications at high speed and using specialized tools to do so.
This report explores our respondents’ DevOps initiatives and reveals:
- A large jump in DevOps adoption since 2017 survey results
- Increased pressure to release software at a faster pace is driving DevOps adoption
- High percentages of respondents are realizing improved performance as the result of implementing DevOps
- The most popular tools and products used by DevOps teams
2018 State of Cloud
Cloud adoption is growing, but how are organizations taking advantage of it? Interop ITX and InformationWeek surveyed technology decision-makers with titles such as CIO, CTO, IT manager and IT director, at North American companies on cloud computing usage and optimization strategies.
The state of the cloud is stratified, with different organizations taking three distinctly different paths to realize the benefits of the cloud. In this report:
- Understand the three paths and learn what the most widely-used cloud architectures are.
- For many organizations considering to adopt public cloud services - what is the biggest concern?
- Container adoption is on the rise but by how much?
- What are the four most important benefits of IaaS?
2018 State of Infrastructure
Successful companies invest in the future, and the future of many companies is digital. As they build tomorrow's digital businesses, IT leaders say they will have to overcome challenges including cost constraints, a skills gap, and data security requirements.
But the single greatest factor driving change in IT infrastructure is the rapid growth of data and data storage technology, fueled by initiatives in big data, Internet of Things, and data analytics. Find out how IT organizations are responding to increased demands for storing and managing data, along with:
- Overall IT infrastructure purchase plans
- Drivers and inhibitors to infrastructure modernization
- Data center technology plans
- Networking and wireless investments
State of DevOps (2017 edition)
Are you ready to dive into DevOps? According to our survey, a larger majority of IT organizations are implementing or plan to implement DevOps within the next two years. Download the report to find out how and why your peers are taking the plunge, what their priorities are, and how they're measuring success. In addition, you'll learn:
- The top drivers and barriers to DevOps adoption
- How using DevOps is affecting enterprise software quality and time to market
- The top tools and products for enterprises usage and investments
State of the Cloud (2017 edition)
As the use of public cloud becomes a given, IT leaders must navigate the transition and advocate for management tools or architectures that allow them to realize the benefits they seek. Download this report to explore the issues and how to best leverage the cloud moving forward. Also in this report:
- The death of "virtualization=cloud": Learn why a collection of virtual machines no longer qualifies as a real cloud implementation
- Cloud management: What tools are users implementing and how well do they meet their needs?
- The future of cloud: Find out about serverless computing and functions-as-a-service, the hottest new trends in cloud
State of IT (2017 edition)
In today's technology-driven world, "innovation" has become a basic expectation. IT leaders are tasked with making technical magic, improving customer experience, and boosting the bottom line -- yet often without any increase to the IT budget. How are organizations striking the balance between new initiatives and cost control? Download our report to learn about the biggest challenges and how savvy IT executives are overcoming them. Find out more about:
- How IT organizations are executing on innovation
- The most important IT initiatives on the agenda today
- The technologies with the biggest potential for positive business impact
- The skills IT professionals need to survive and thrive
State of Data Analytics (2017 edition)
Data-driven decision making and analytics technology is revolutionizing the way companies do business. Is your company differentiating itself with data, or falling behind? Download our report to find out how your peers are faring with analytics, learn about their most successful use cases, and discover the biggest challenges – not only managing in data itself, but with people, processes, technology, and culture. In addition, get real-world insights on:
- The top drivers and barriers to data analytics adoption
- The biggest success stories for analytics so far
- Top investments companies are making in data analytics tools and platforms
- How the cloud factors into data analytics initiatives